THE GERMAN TRENCHES
The First World War trenches recreate both French and German trenches from the early war period. This was an area that saw heavy fighting in 1915
The Tranchée des Bavarois, or Bavarian Trench, was part of a German system of trenches in the St Mihiel Salient, south of Verdun. The positions here were strengthened from 1915 onwards and a large number of concrete structures put in place, from concrete lined firing positions in the trenches to infantry shelters and mortar and machine-gun posts. This bunker was made by a Bavarian Pioneer company in 1915/16.
The Tranchée des Bavarois, or Bavarian Trench, was part of a German system of trenches in the St Mihiel Salient, south of Verdun.
The legend ‘In Treue Fest’ was written on the brass belt buckles worn by these Bavarian troops and was their army motto. Roughly translated means ‘Firm In Loyalty’.
The Montsec monument commemorates the capture of the Saint Mihiel salient by the American First Army, the operations of the Americans Second Army on 9-11 November 1918.